10.29.2008

new life

This week I've been learning about (or trying to learn about) the world of cloth diapers. It's a pretty large amount of information to take in, and I'm still confused. I'm leaning towards the traditional pre-fold cloth diapers with a water proof cover. That seems to be an easy and cheap option.

I've learned quite a bit. Disposable diapers have whatever material it was that caused women to develop Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) from tampons in them still! The reasoning for this is the diapers are not used internally. I thought it was common knowledge that the skin absorbs anything that it comes in contact with. Apparently not! Also, studies are now linking fertility problems to disposable diapers. So, I think I'm convinced. I'd much rather deal with a few more loads of laundry to keep my baby healthy. Plus, there's the whole environmental issue. It takes over 100 years for the disposable diapers to even begin to decompose.

After all this enlightenment, I don't think I can go back to regular diapering. (I say this before I've had the chance to even try cloth diapers, ha) I also feel good about the money I will be spending on these cloth diapers--which is substantially less than what I spent on the disposables for my first son. I plan to buy from a company that was started by a mother, and now employs mothers that are able to work at their own pace from their homes. Wonderful!!


No comments: